Wednesday 30 March 2011

Moving out

       I remember two years ago when my oldest son moved out.  I went through so much questioning on whether I had taught him everything that he needed to know in life.  In one month my middle child (son) will also be leaving home and my oldest son will be moving back for the summer.  I am going through a "empty nest revolving door syndrome." 
       ... when they are babies there are important things that we need to teach them for their own safety.  Don't touch a hot stove, always hold your mom's hand when you cross the street, don't put peas up your nose.  As they get older the teaching changes and we start to teach them life lessons - how to be a good friend, being respectful, making good choices.  And then it comes to the day when you really have to cut the apron strings and let them go.  This is what we have been training them for - life on their own, life outside your watchful eye and sheltering arms. 
      The questions begin to go through your mind.  Have I taught them everything that they need to know out there in the dark and dangerous world?  Have I equipped them with the knowledge they will need to make the right choices?  Will they know how to make a healthy, decent meal?  The worries and thoughts go through my head until finally I realize I have done the best that I can do.  I have loved them unconditionally and tried to teach them what is right and what is wrong.  I have to cut the apron strings and push them out of the nest.
      So, each night and during the day I send up a prayer for their protection.  And I hope that when they reach out their hand to touch the hot stove they will hear my voice in their head saying HOT.  And I hope that even though they may not hear me say I love you every day they will hear it in their hearts.

1 comment:

  1. Life is full of change, when kids leave home if evokes emotions that cannot be explained!!

    ReplyDelete